New device monitoring system Classroom uses a proprietary algorithm to alert teachers of unusual student browsing behaviour.
AUSTIN, TX. — Lightspeed Systems, the leading education technology provider for schools, released a new student classroom management product today. Lightspeed Systems Classroom is a cloud-based software solution that uses a revolutionary technology to alert teachers when students are browsing off-task on classroom devices.
Most classroom management solutions give teachers views of classroom device activity to, in theory, help them pinpoint students who are distracted or falling behind. In practice, teachers struggle to track the activity of 30 students at a time and monitoring all those screens keeps teachers tied to their desks and devices.
Classroom — included at no additional charge with the Lightspeed Systems Relay web filtering solution, and available for purchase as a standalone product — revolutionises the traditional model of classroom management by using a proprietary algorithm to identify students with unusual browsing activity (i.e., those who are distracted or falling behind). Teachers receive notifications of that unusual behaviour, freeing them from their desks so they can focus on other tasks.
In addition to receiving unusual browsing alerts, Classroom gives teachers the power to:
• Receive status updates from students (“need help,” “working,” or “done”)
• See aggregate views of student browsing activity and status
• View student screens in real time, pull browsing histories and record device activity
• Send quick messages (e.g., “Are you done?” and “Need help?”) and receive replies from students
• Lock device screens and send content links
• Limit student web access to a website or group of websites for the class period and release students when they change their status to “done”
The cloud-based, multi-OS Relay eliminates the need for multiple systems to filter, monitor and manage school devices with features for granular user activity reporting; content filtering, including SSL sites, with flexible policies; real-time suspicious activity alerts; and geolocation for lost and stolen devices.
Relay gives the ability to filter any device OS by deploying Lightspeed Systems Smart Agents. It also features simple SSL filtering; a Parent Report Generator; and Smart Play, a YouTube management feature powered by machine learning.