Notice: Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Student Personal Information
Lightspeed Systems complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, otherwise known as “COPPA.”
This notice describes our practices concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information from children under the age of 13. Our limited use of this information is described here and in detail in the Lightspeed Systems Personvernerklæring og Vilkår for bruk that describes our commitment to each school and school district (“School”) with which we partner. We are providing this notice to you as an official authorized to act on behalf of your School.
1. Student Personal Information We Collect
Lightspeed Systems may collect student personal information provided by Schools and parents/guardians, including:
- Information that identifies the student’s account and contact information, like a Unique SIS User ID, username, first and last name, or email address; and
- Information that identifies the student’s school and district, grade level, classroom, group, and parents/guardians.
Lightspeed Systems may also collect student personal information when a student utilizes school-managed accounts and devices provided by the School, including:
- Information that relates to the student’s school-managed account, which may include (depending on a School’s currently selected Lightspeed System services) identifiers and other information necessary to associate a student with a certain device, account, settings, classroom, group, and/or parents/guardians;
- Information that relates to the student’s activity, which may include (depending on a School’s currently selected Lightspeed System services) chats, video conferencing recordings (including videos of participating students and chats included in a video conference), IP address, browsing history, search history, application usage, and online content;
- Information that identifies the geographic location of devices; and
- Information that facilitates the integration of the Lightspeed System services with other School software (if the School offers such integrations), such as unique identifiers (e.g., Google classroom identifier to connect a student to his/her classroom) and other integration information.
Please note that the information collected may change if your School starts utilizing new features and Lightspeed System services.
2. Use of Student Information We Collect
We may use a student’s personal information to:
- Provide, analyze, and improve the services and for legitimate educational purposes requested by the School as per the contractual agreement in place and as stated in our Personvernerklæring, which may include restricting access to certain websites and alerting schools to online content viewed by students;
- Operate, maintain, and provide the features and functionality of the Lightspeed System services, including customer service, support, and billing;
- Communicate with Schools and parents/guardians, send notifications, and respond to inquiries; and
- Exchange information and to offer related services such as user group membership and event registration.
We may use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information (information that does not, on its own, permit direct association with students’ identities) for any lawful purpose. For example, we may aggregate and use information regarding usage of the Lightspeed Systems services to help us understand which parts of our services that are of most interest to an School. Aggregated data is considered non-personal information.
Lightspeed Systems will not sell student personal information or seek to profit directly from such information. We will not use personally identifiable student information to target advertisements or market to students or anyone else, to amass a profile about a student for a non-educational purpose, or for any purposes prohibited by the Family Educational and Privacy Rights Act (“FERPA”) or applicable state law.
3. Who We Disclose Student Information to
Lightspeed Systems may share student personal information with:
- Bedrifter eller tredjeparter Lightspeed Systems er tilknyttet for å forenkle en transaksjon eller tjeneste som skolen har initiert eller bedt om;
- Agents and service providers that act on our behalf to support our services, such as technology services (e.g. web hosting and analytics services);
- Others, such as parents, teachers, administrators, or other School personnel at the direction of the School or in order to facilitate the service that the School has initiated or requested (depending on a School’s currently selected Lightspeed System services);
- Consent of (or at the direction of) a parent, guardian, or eligible student;
- En tredjepartsenhet i forbindelse med eller under forhandlinger om en virksomhetsoverføring, i så fall vil mottakeren være underlagt de samme forpliktelsene; og
- Third parties, such as law enforcement, first responders, state or federal reporting agencies, such as the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, or other officials (“Government Officials”) when required by law or when doing so is mandated by our internal escalation policy, which is subject to change in our sole discretion, or when we believe in good faith that it is necessary to comply with any legal, law enforcement, or regulatory process, such as to respond to a warrant, subpoena, court order, or other applicable laws and regulations; take action in connection with a health or safety emergency; enforce or apply our agreements, including our Vilkår for bruk; eller beskytte Lightspeed Systems, våre brukere, kunder eller andre.
5. Access, Correction, and Deletion of Student Information, and How to Contact Us
Lightspeed Systems supports Schools’ ability to access, correct, and delete personally identifiable information of students. In many cases, the School can fulfil the request itself using the services. Alternatively, if you have any questions or concerns regarding this notice, or if the School would like to access, correct, or delete student information on behalf of the School or pursuant to parent/guardian requests in accordance with COPPA (or in accordance with FERPA, or other applicable laws), please contact us at [email protected]. You can also contact us by mail or phone.
Attention: Privacy Department
12013 Fitzhugh Rd.
Austin, TX 78736, USA